The Power of the Opera by Children Journal!!
The Opera by Children Journal is an essential tool for the students to use to keep a record of their good ideas.
It helps them stay involved and focused during the experience.
- Provide an OBC Journal the day you introduce the opera project in your class.
- Have the students record the terms and draw pictures of what they think an opera is
- Encourage them to write or draw pictures of their ideas in their journal
- During brain storming sessions have students raise their hands to share ideas but have them use their Non-writing hand so they may write the idea in their journal as they wait to be called on.
- Remind the students that their ideas are always their own and even if their idea is not recognizable in the opera it has influenced and helped create the opera.
- The opera is not the only place the students may use their own ideas. They need to be encouraged to explore creative ideas on their own that they have recorded in their journal.
By using the journal as an idea reservoir they are able to feel validated even through collaboration and idea synthesis, which is a difficult thing to learn. It is higher order thinking skill and valuable in building community, team work and is essential in college and career preparedness.
Ideas for Journal Pre-made content:
- Use the OBC image!! It is darling!
- Important Opera Words can be listed and the student left a place to define them.
- Create the Words in such a way they are a penmanship tracing tool.
- Areas for
- Setting Ideas
- Character Ideas
- Simple Problem Ideas
- Simple Solution ideas
- Places for Drawing
- Places for Group collaboration
Remember to have fun! Enjoy watching the process unfold in your classes and create the perfect Journal for your class!
Remember a Notebook will suffice. Print off the OBC logo and have the class paste it on!
Many teachers have enjoyed using their creativity with this project and tying the journal to classroom work.
It is a joyful journey when this tool is employed.
Have a great journey with your students.
Opera by Children Director